One of the reasons, why I haven't been updating my blog off late, is I'm simply out of clues on how to describe the festive season!
I won't call it sullen, as that would belittle the efforts of my kind friends, who, as if by some magician's repertoire, bore me up..
None the less, I can't demean my own energies, time, and care; expended unsparingly in dedicating Mumma a wall!
XXX
Happy moments of yesteryear Dushehras would come knocking to my heart and impress upon it joyous spontaneity..
I'd be glad...........but only momentarily............as a glumly "present" would soon steal into the pleasant mood.....Like some grave, disturbing thought that marauds a poor maiden's dream!
XXX
Saptami (October 14th) was difficult.....the morning, especially.....the music and festivities were in full bloom, underlining, sternly, the hushed landscape that my heart has become..
XXX
The House owners had arranged for renewing our lease. I looked at the papers fleetingly and signed them...and deposited an advance of next seven months....
XXX
Apurva had come to help design the wall, but Daffodils- the best photo labortary in town- let me down. The pictures weren't framed, yet.
Ashu, too, I remember, had dropped in to say "Hi" that day.. Apurva left the laptop with me, so that I might plan for another day and prepare good patterns for the wall...
XXX
In the afternoon, I went to Recreation Club, knowing already that revisiting the place, mumma had so sportingly accompanied me to each Dushehra, would only invite tears to my eyes...
It did.
But thankfully, only the Goddess saw them.. The morning Puja was long over, and people had receded to their places already.....
I didn't hold them back.. Two big droplets rolled down my cheeks.. My cheeks, that, upon such gaieties, inside the Pandal, would be fondled lovingly by so many of mumma's friends.....
They were moist with gloom this time!
I retired.. Immediately.. In any case, my white kurtas seemed to only dull the Goddess's lustre..
XXX
In the evening, Sid took me on a joyride to the city... There were Lights....There were too many lights.....Brilliant lights that sparkled glory in the crowded streets.............
and then, there was eternal darkness!
XXX
Ashtami (0ctober 15th) was unusually wearing, to begin with....Those who have seen me toil relentlessly in even minor assignments, can imagine how I might have struggled when I ventured to dedicate her a wall!
Her, whom I love above all riches this world can offer!
XXX
No food (except a bowl of kheer that Shahla Miss had sent us).
No water.
No rest.
No bath.
Only shouting at masons, with irrepressible wrath, should they falter!
XXX
It paid.
XXX
By 6pm, not only Shahnaz Aunty had lauded my efforts and pronounced the wall "stupendous", I had performed "Sandhyarti" too..
XXX
Navami (October 16th) arrived like spell of rains upon parched fields.. Courtesy Ashu and Apurva, who first took me for Devi-darshan, where I prayed and wished, and then to Dominos that has hit the town only last week!
We ordered four double bread pizzas and garlic sticks.....And shared that amongst us!
Mouth watering, truly mouth watering!!
Go Dominos Go..
XXX
In the evening, we went to see Ashu off, whose holidays were over and who had to leave for Chandigarh!
Sid and Apurva then left for their homes, and asked me to meet at Recreation Club at around 8.
XXX
Delightfully, I had two unexpected visitors in Shivam and Salindra- school buddies, who had come to spend time together.
So, it was a gang of five, not three, at Recreation Club. Cool moments awaited us. We shared jokes; exchanged ideas; and discussed, among other things, the Babri verdict.
Shivam, the lawyer, ardently upheld the decision, while Salindra advocated it as well.
XXX
We also went to this cosy place called, Khaa Lo, and ordered dinner.. Shivam bore it all himself, arguing he was the only one who had a job and who had drawn stipends too.
So unlike ACJ- where people split even tea bills amongst themselves!
At night, I was back. But not before I had bought popcorns for us and mumma, and had a tete-a-tete with the Bhattacharyas!
XXX
Vijaya Dashami was my last day at home; I'd write about it only tomorrow as I need to rush for my evening prayers.. Today is Kojagori Lakshmi Puja (Bengalis celebrate it a fortnight before Diwali), and I hope, earnestly, the Goddess would arrange for my proper upkeep.
Friday, October 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment