(Dec 9, 5:10pm)
Had a long vacation in Patna.. Spent two weeks in home town, attending a childhood friend's marriage.. Bengalis have too many festivities when a couple ties the knot, lasting usually four or five days..
So, it was a pleasure meeting old pals, and many of Mumma's old pals also.. as this friend's family lives in Mom's pre-marriage neighbourhood..
I was surprised quite a few of them, of people I have heard of from mom but never really met, were eager to see me.. One of them later invited me to her place in the weekend..
I am not intimate with too many people.. So, generally I attend receptions, and those are more formal gesture... But this one was different.. We have known them for decades..
XXX
The friend's mom loves me a lot.. There is a special event called Ibrobhaat, a day before the wedding.. It was fun attending it.. The friend's mother herself called me twice, ensuring I do turn up..
In this ritual, the would-be groom is served rice along with five varities of fried vegetables or bhajas, a huge fish head, and a platter of sweets along with kheer and acompaniments..
When the would-be groom is done eating, remnants of his plate are mixed with the food meant for his unmarried siblings.. People say those who eat the ibrobhaat too get married soon..
Lol... It's cute, I think.. The ladies, inborn with matchmaking skills and with the obligatory duty to be worried about and find matches for all 25 plus boys and girls, invite the youngsters they love..
So, this friend's mother, who is genuinely doting to me, made sure I was present.. It was little embarrassing.. But you do not turn down a loving, elderly lady's request. Do you?
XXX
Will write more about my home visit, people I met.. my city, the food, the weather, the feel of being home over a holiday..
Do keep visiting... Thanks!
XXX
Had a long vacation in Patna.. Spent two weeks in home town, attending a childhood friend's marriage.. Bengalis have too many festivities when a couple ties the knot, lasting usually four or five days..
So, it was a pleasure meeting old pals, and many of Mumma's old pals also.. as this friend's family lives in Mom's pre-marriage neighbourhood..
I was surprised quite a few of them, of people I have heard of from mom but never really met, were eager to see me.. One of them later invited me to her place in the weekend..
I am not intimate with too many people.. So, generally I attend receptions, and those are more formal gesture... But this one was different.. We have known them for decades..
XXX
The friend's mom loves me a lot.. There is a special event called Ibrobhaat, a day before the wedding.. It was fun attending it.. The friend's mother herself called me twice, ensuring I do turn up..
In this ritual, the would-be groom is served rice along with five varities of fried vegetables or bhajas, a huge fish head, and a platter of sweets along with kheer and acompaniments..
When the would-be groom is done eating, remnants of his plate are mixed with the food meant for his unmarried siblings.. People say those who eat the ibrobhaat too get married soon..
Lol... It's cute, I think.. The ladies, inborn with matchmaking skills and with the obligatory duty to be worried about and find matches for all 25 plus boys and girls, invite the youngsters they love..
So, this friend's mother, who is genuinely doting to me, made sure I was present.. It was little embarrassing.. But you do not turn down a loving, elderly lady's request. Do you?
XXX
Will write more about my home visit, people I met.. my city, the food, the weather, the feel of being home over a holiday..
Do keep visiting... Thanks!
XXX
No comments:
Post a Comment