The palace was resplendent with lights and made noisy with applaud of a jubilant crowd. Arrayed in all their finery, the princes waited in line for her to arrive. All of them anxious, restless, and yearning to win. She approached them with a coy smile. Greeted them. And exchanged a word or two in kindly courtesy. And just when her relentless father assumed she would make her choice, the princess walked to the end of the hall and garlanded the statue of Prithviraj.
That was an audacity that saw the end of two mighty empires. But why did Samyukta have to do that?
Simple.
Sometimes the heart beckons, and the enthusiast in us happily nods.
I, too, have nodded to the idea of journalism from a young age. Born with a gift of writing and always looking for ways to improve that, literature engulfed the better part of my childhood. This aptitude found motivation at home, as my mum gave me the best grooming that money could buy. Not only did she help me polish my writing, but also prepared me well for elocutions and debating.
By the time I reached high school, I was already being recognised as an effortless writer and fine orator. Becoming the editor of my school magazine, Xavier Life, and getting elected as the student-in charge of Xavier- Spic Macay society, observed me more into media related activities.
That was also the time I was reading avidly in international relations- an interest lent by the 9/11 Twin Tower attack. A comprehensive study of modern world history, which was part of our Social Science curriculum, added to my efforts meaningfully.
And upon this time, I realized, unambiguously, I should be a journalist. Choosing anything else, however lucrative be the prospects of it, would mean bartering my dreams away for a little comfort. I would not do that.
I pursued BA Honours in Political Science, so that I might gain insight of the world around me, and the issues that face it. I coupled that with a PG diploma in journalism from Asian College of Journalism- a lifetime’s experience I can proudly tell.
I now look forward to practicing my craft in a knowledgeable environment, and I am happy that the Confucius quote has come true for me: “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Brilliant post, dude. But surely, it will escape the notice and appreciation of the other anonymous and his likeminded ACJians this time too. You really are terrific writer.
ReplyDelete